Sunday, January 24, 2010

Still Here

January 24, 2010
Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan
19:45
Since the grunts have apparently begun attacking some city, the computers have been closed. I’m typing this out of Microsoft Word with hopes that I can email it to myself when I get a WiFi Connection and then get the file out of the email and copy it.

It’s a scary thing to think that there’s a battle going on relatively nearby. It seems like they’re going on everyday, but you don’t really think about it until you’re right next to one. I could’ve sworn I heard some kind of distant explosion, which no doubt isn’t training.

I’m sitting at the WiFi area, and everytime someone walks by they ask if the internet works. Andrews got pretty impatient at one point and said “NO!” and it turned out the person asking was a Sergeant, which made for a deliciously awkward moment for me to witness.

The good news is that I’ve finally started working on a literary project that I’d like to turn into a novella. I think that outlining it and planning it out will make it easier for me to take it seriously and actually get some work done on it. When I have no direction on a story project I find it much harder to work on it and I’m usually pretty nervous about where it’ll end up. I don’t feel like I have any control over it myself, which can be normal for writers if they let a story take an organic progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment